Let’s face it, Nutella makes everything better and it is no different for pound cake. This dessert is fabulous and truly not that hard to whip up considering all of the adulation you receive when you make it. Inspired by a recipe found on Sweetapolita. —Ellen
Nutella Pound Cake
A note about the pan size: this recipe fits perfectly into a 10 x 14 pan or you can use two loaf pans. I have only ever made it in the 10 x 14 pan.
3 cups sifted all purpose flour (The flour really needs to be sifted for the texture!)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter softened at room temperature
3 cups sugar
6 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup plain yogurt (or can substitute 1 cup sour cream. I like the texture of the cake better when I use the yogurt, but they taste the same.)
1 (13 oz) jar Nutella
1. Sift together flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
2. Beat the butter with an electric mixer. Slowing beat in butter until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Beat in vanilla and almond extract. (Note: total beating time is about 10 minutes, but don’t over beat.)
5. Add dry ingredients to the mixer bowl, alternating with the yogurt, beating well after each addition, making sure to scrape down the sides.
6. Pour half of batter into greased 10 x 14 pan.
7. Now comes the time for the Nutella. Remove the lid AND the seal and follow this microwave procedure.
Microwave 5 seconds, stir. Microwave 5 seconds, stir. Microwave 5 seconds, stir.
8. Pour/spread the Nutella over the cake batter with an offset spatula. Swirl slightly with a wooden skewer.
9. Top with the remaining batter. Swirl again with a wooden skewer, but don’t over mix.
10. Bake in 10 x 14 pan for 55 minutes and test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center. It should come out clean.
11. Let the cake cool about 30 minutes before inverting it from the pan onto a wire rack. Many times I just serve it out of the pan, though.
To take this cake completely over the top you can add a Coffee Glaze.
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 tablespoon brewed coffee
1. Mix sifted sugar and brewed coffee together, whisking until smooth
2. Drizzle over cake.
Check out our books, “I Just Want to Be Alone” and “You Have Lipstick on Your Teeth.”